Bigge Hauls Cyclotron for the University of California at Berkeley
On this day (March 4) in 1940, Bigge hauled a 60-inch cyclotron for the University of California at Berkeley. The cyclotron was the largest in diameter and most powerful such instrument of its day. In World War II, the cyclotron created 8 artificial elements including plutonium.
The cyclotron was decommissioned in 1965, but its core magnets were repurposed by the University of California at Davis for its new 76-inch cyclotron held at the Crocker Nuclear Laboratory.